Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 10, 11 & 12 - Homeward bound.

I’m afraid all good things must come to an end. We got up at the crack of a cold wet dawn yesterday and hit the road for home. And unfortunately living on Vancouver Island once again managed to influence our plans. I know it all too well because I was once there myself. You don’t want to but you can’t help factoring in the Ferry schedule into your plans.

We originally planned on a much more leisurely three-day ride back with short days and afternoons around the pool. The idea was we’d ride together yesterday and today and then part company in the morning (tomorrow) and each make our final push for home. I’m afraid work and family commitments put too pressure on Brad and Kevan though, and they decided to push for home a day early. Brad, to have a much deserved day off before going back to work and Kevan’s been gone almost two weeks when Nakusp is factored in, and he wanted to get home as early as possible. So we rode from Petrolia to Cottage Grove yesterday. It was only 535 klm but after 7 days on the road and too many nights sleeping on the ground that’s all I could accomplish. I was whipped. I actually wanted to quit an hour earlier because I was starting to “zone out” a bit but they wanted to carry on and I didn’t want to be left behind quite that soon so we carried on for another hour. It worked out well. They compromised by stopping earlier than they wanted and we eventually called it a day in Cottage Grove where we enjoyed a soak in the hot tub and swim in the pool. Then the three of us had dinner, swapped pictures on our laptops and we were all in bed and asleep by 9:30.

Today, Brad and Kevan are making a push for the Black Ball Ferry at Port Angeles. It’s only 575n klm so it’s very feasible and should put them into Port Angeles in the early afternoon. Quite likely as I’m typing this they’re both already home. I’m afraid I couldn’t do the same however. It’s 967 klm for me. I arrived in Wenatchee at 3:30, which was nine hours and 672 klm. I seriously debated taking a short power nap in a park and pressing on. It’s only another 300 klm /four hours but if I took off again at four that would mean pulling in at 8:00 and 14 hour day is just silly.- plus it’s not safe. I could have done it on day one or two but not day 11.

So discretion played the better part of valour and I called it a day here in Wenatchee. I’ll get a good nights sleep and hit the road early in the morning and should be home by the time Rosi is home from work at 11:00.

For those so inclined if you check back in a couple days and I’ll post a few pictures when I have a better internet connection.

And finally - a few statistics

Days on the road - 12days/11 nights
Total Mileage - 5,142 klm
Nights in a hotel - 4
Nights camping - 7
Close encounters with a deer - 1 (it was Kevan and it was VERY close!)

No comments:

Post a Comment