Saturday, October 27, 2007

Logistics

We decided to move the date up to January 2008 in August. Since then it’s been a whirlwind of preparation and activity.
In no particular order…
Both Steve and Brad had to buy bikes since neither had one when the go/no go decision was made. Brad had to take it a step further and acquire his MC license. We all had to buy new hot weather riding gear and equip the bikes for the trip. No small task for three 26 year old Honda’s
Trying to arrange shipping was a nightmare. Yes, there are lots of professional companies doing it but it’s VERY expensive, and none would take any of our personal gear. So……..Rosi and I are renting a u-haul and taking all four bikes to Apache Junction in two weeks.
Then there’s the usual stuff for a MC trip through Central America:
Parts and tools for the bikes in case of a break down
First aid kits
International Drivers licenses
Vaccinations etc from the travel clinic
Out of Country medical Insurance
Special MC Insurance to be able to cross over into Mexico
U-Haul arrangements
Hotel reservations
Route Maps and planning (OK, I love that part. I’m sorry, I can’t help it)

Oh, and did I mention that our wives are flying to Costa Rica, bussing to Panama
and will be waiting for us when we arrive. That will be the end to a lonnng dry spell.
Viva la Panama!

We’re all pretty much finished but the bikes still have to get to Phoenix.. US Customs has said all I need is a letter from the other three owners giving me permission to haul them down but it sounds too easy. I’ll believe it when I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment